Supervise, train, and promote the professional development of approximately 60 – 70 part-time Gallery Attendants (GAs), who staff exhibitions and public programs at three museum locations: MOCA Grand Avenue, The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, and MOCA Pacific Design Center. GAs are charged with creating an accessible and enjoyable experience in the museum galleries, by assisting visitors with a general understanding of current exhibitions and works of art on view, while also focusing on protecting the art works and monitoring visitor safety. GAs also assist with various aspects of public program and special event implementation, including check-in and crowd management.
A minimum 2 years’ customer service experience, and a minimum of 2-4 years’ supervisorial experience, with strong team leadership, training, and coaching skills. Experience training staff to engage museum visitors in conversation about works of art, as well as verbal and nonverbal techniques to maintain a firm presence in protecting artwork is highly desired. Alternatively, experience developing lesson plans and/or coordinating educational programs, particularly with inconsistent enrollment, is applicable. Familiarity with contemporary art history and concepts, including understanding the importance of social and historical contexts in both the making and interpretation of art. Working a Tuesday through Saturday schedule, must be able to work evenings and holidays at both downtown MOCA locations, with occasional assignments at MOCA at the Pacific Design Center. Bachelor's degree required.
- Supervise, train, and promote the professional development of approximately 60 – 70 part-time Gallery Attendants (GAs), who staff exhibitions and public programs at three museum locations: MOCA Grand Avenue, The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, and MOCA Pacific Design Center.
- With Director of Visitor Engagement, set performance goals for GAs including content preparedness, conversational strategies, and art protection techniques; develop training and evaluation methods to ensure goals are met.
- With Director of Visitor Engagement, collaborate with curatorial and education staff members to select—and, where necessary, edit—written and video materials, and devise presentations and training workshops.
- Coordinate administrative systems to support and track staff performance, including updating roster and training records, handling distribution of uniforms and other supplies, and documenting attendance and policy compliance.
- Prepare and present information, facilitate discussions, and develop other appropriate content for daily briefings and additional scheduled trainings for GAs, including role-play scenarios, discussing artworks, emergency preparedness, and conveying logistical information. Some daily briefings will include MOCA Security Officers, and may be presented jointly with a security manager.
- In the absence of the Director and Manager of Visitor Engagement, act as an on-duty supervisor for GAs during shifts and buildings as designated, so that exhibition-related, customer service, and visitor engagement issues can be escalated to a supervisor.
- Review GA performance and assess training needs, offering coaching and soliciting feedback on a daily basis.
- Assist GAs in crowded galleries, and interface with self-guided groups as needed.
- Assist MOCA Security in handling fire/life safety protocols, including medical incidents or emergency situations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required. Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.