The Director of Individual Giving reports to the Chief Development Officer and manages major gifts at MOCA, and oversees all annual giving, membership, and stewardship activities. The Director of Individual Giving manages a team of three, all direct reports, including the Individual Giving Manager, Individual Giving Coordinator, and Development Assistant. The Director of Individual Giving is charged with meeting funding targets of more than $2 million in annual support, contributing to the overall growth of individual giving, developing and implementing the overall Individual Giving strategy and carrying a reasonably-sized prospect pool that includes donors to exhibitions, education, general operating support, endowments, and planned gifts. The Director of Individual Giving will have a strong development background with a minimum of five years of experience. This person will need to have a proven track record of progressive and successful development experience, which must include a major emphasis in annual giving and major gifts development, in addition to strong management and training skills.
- Minimum of five years of direct fundraising experience, preferably in a non-profit arts organization or museum
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills required
- Prior supervisory/management experience
- An undergraduate degree
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or comparable donor management software
- Problem-solving, research, and analytical skills
- Solid relationship-building skills, able to interface with external constituents
- Weekend and evening work will be required.
- Participates as a lead member of the development team, in addition to contributing to the museum fundraising planning under the direction of the Chief Development Officer.
- Solicits support for exhibitions, education programs, annual fund, the museum’s Benefit, naming opportunities, endowments, and planned gifts.
- Supervises the Individual Giving Manager to ensure effective communication, appeals, renewals, upgrades, and stewardship within the Projects Council, Leadership Circle, and acquisition groups constituencies.
- Ensures effective coordination across annual giving activities to make sure donors are being moved up the giving pipeline.
- Experience working in or overseeing annual giving programs.
- Coordinates with the Membership and Annual Fund Manager to ensure effective communication, appeals, renewals, upgrades, and stewardship within the membership program and annual fund campaigns.
- Develops and maintains a personal prospect pool of 50-75 major gift donors and prospects.
- Proven frontline experience in major individual gift fundraising, preferably in museums, and in cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of gifts at $25,000 and above.
- Understanding the needs and interests of major donors in order to develop relationships between them and the museum.
- Develop and oversee budgets for Individual Giving, aligning strategy to expenses
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: From identification and cultivation to solicitation and stewardship.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional fundraising streams.
- Understanding of the importance of Gifts of Works of Art and Planned Giving and other development messages as a part of the program.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required. Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.